Course Description: This course is designed to provide the law enforcement officer/investigator with the ability to recognize potential money laundering violations, both international and domestic, while investigating narcotics-related violations. The course will allow the student to apply techniques for financial interviewing, identifying sources of financial information, utilizing indirect methods of proving profitability in illegal enterprises, utilizing financial undercover operations, financial search warrants, and conducting money laundering investigations.
Course Length: 8 hours
Course Objectives: At the conclusion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Recognize elements of the various financial crimes that stem from the laundering and accumulation of profits from the illegal narcotics industry.
- Utilize techniques that can be employed parallel to a normal drug investigation and used to supplement any ongoing criminal investigation/prosecution to solve open cases and identify future investigations.
- Determine if money laundering and currency violations can assist them in expanding their prosecution base through adding additional targets and whether asset forfeiture provisions of these statutes are appropriate.
- Define money laundering.
- Differentiate between money laundering and a money laundering violation.
- List currency reporting requirements.
- List money laundering statutes.
- Determine when to begin financial investigations.
- Recognize money laundering violations in narcotics and other illegal activity cases.
To apply for access to E Drug training, follow the instructions on the information about applying page. Upon verification of your military, law enforcement or criminal justice employment status, you will receive an email providing information on accessing restricted classes.