Course Length: 3 days (24 hours)
MCTFT Coordinators: Gail Walker (727-344-8020)
Upon completion of the course, the investigator will be familiar with cultivation trends in the United States and will be able to identify the signs that indicate the presence of an indoor or outdoor grow operation. The course will emphasize the skills necessary to draft an affidavit for a search warrant and give credible testimony in criminal trials. Further, the investigator will be taught investigative techniques to successfully disrupt and prosecute the violator. This course is an expansion of the 2 day course to include various domestic & transnational drug trafficking organizations and site safety.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Gain awareness of US statutes related to marijuana use, manufacture and distribution along with additional Federal Codes that may be employed in the prosecution of such cases.
- Understand the trends in marijuana use, its effects and social views over time.
- Identify the strains of the cannabis plant, grow factors and the plant life cycle.
- Identify the equipment used in the indoor grow operation and the probable cause generated by its use.
- Develop a working knowledge of indoor grow operations.
- Describe techniques for investigating structures suspected of indoor grow operations.
- Discuss current trends in the indoor marijuana cultivation problem across the US and various transnational drug trafficking organizations who are involved.
- Develop a working knowledge of outdoor grow operations.
- Describe techniques for investigating outdoor grow operations.
- Discuss current trends in the outdoor marijuana cultivation problem across the US and various domestic & transnational drug trafficking organizations who are using public and private lands.
- Gain an awareness of aerial marijuana spotting techniques.
- Understand marijuana eradication techniques.
- Identify critical elements necessary for drafting an affidavit for a search warrant.
- Describe strategies for giving credible court testimony in marijuana cultivation cases.
Overview of topics
- Introduction and Laws
- Marijuana Use, Effects and Social Views
- Medical Marijuana and Legalization
- Marijuana Basics
- Indoor Grow Equipment
- Indoor Grow Operations
- Indoor Grow Investigations
- Indoor Grow Trends & Drug Trafficking Organizations
- Outdoor Grow Operations
- Outdoor Grow Investigations
- Outdoor Marijuana Trends, Public Lands & Drug Trafficking Organizations
- Site Safety Issues
- Aerial Spotting
- Search Warrants and Legal Considerations
- Case File Preparation
- Case Examples
Course Schedule and Contacts:
To register for a class, click the “Register” button or call the contact listed with that class below: