Back in 2000, about 1.5 million Americans abused prescription drugs. Two years later, that number quadrupled to more than six million. That’s a 400% increase. Thousands of people die each year because they overdose on prescription medications. Many abusers think they’re an FDA-approved high, while others become addicted after using powerful painkillers to treat legitimate pain. During this broadcast, learn how abusers are getting their drugs and how law enforcement, doctors, and pharmacists are fighting the problem. Hear from recovering addicts, treatment providers, doctors, robbery victims and more.
Prescription drugs kill much more than pain.
- Learn what prescription drugs are abused
- Learn how doctors can better treat pain
- See what would help pharmacists spot forged and altered prescriptions
- See what tactics work for law enforcement
- Find out what drug companies are doing
- Know where to go for help
Originally Aired: March 3, 2005