Course Length: 3 days (20 hours)
MCTFT Coordinators: Tom Ward (727-344-8042)
This course will provide law enforcement officers with the crucial knowledge to make informed, effective, and coordinated commercial vehicle searches for the purpose of detecting hidden compartments used to transport illegal narcotics and related contraband. Officers will learn the role that commercial vehicles play in smuggling throughout the country, as well as the techniques and strategies to find these hidden compartments during traffic encounters. This class will emphasize hands on scenarios using commercial vehicles.
- Understand the similarities and differences between commercial vehicle concealment and automobile concealment.
- Developing probable cause for traffic stops using common traffic violations of commercial vehicles.
- Identify a standard list of items that you should always check when making a stop.
- Learn to identify the suspicious traits that indicate a vehicle may contain contraband.
- Learn locations and identifiers of common and uncommon hidden compartments.
- Learn the equipment and human resources needed to do an effective search for contraband.
- Learn to utilize intelligence reports and widely available commercial vehicle information for effective vehicle searches.
Overview of Topics
- Introduction to Drug Trafficking using CMV
- Legal Aspects of Traffic Stops
- Comparison of CMV vs. Passenger Vehicles
- Probable Cause and Common Traffic Violations
- Driver and Vehicle Documentation
- Safety Issues
- Common Concealment Areas
- Scenarios & Practice
- Day One 8 AM – 5 PM
- Day Two 8 AM – 5 PM
- Day Three 8 AM – 12 PM
Course Schedule and Contacts:
To register for a class, click the “Register” button or call the contact listed with that class below: