Course Length: 3 days (24 hours)
MCTFT Coordinators: Todd Kirchgraber (727-344-8030)
Obtaining intelligence on transnational crime is critical during all phases of an investigation. HUMINT has proven to be one of the most effective methods in gathering information, especially with the use of effective interview and interrogation techniques.
The goal of this course is to familiarize the new and seasoned military and law enforcement investigators with the various disciplines of “detecting deception” when engaged with face to face interviewing. This is accomplished though learning to recognize non-verbal body language, eye-assessing cues (neurolinguistics), and by being introduced to the newest form of conducting detailed analysis of verbal and written statements. This unique course offers investigators insight as to what a person is actually saying, and, most importantly, what they are not saying. Additionally, the attendees are challenged to analyze a variety of written statements to evaluate their validity and the value of the information contained when dealing with transnational offenders/suspects engaged in terrorism, drug trafficking and money laundering. The students will also view multiple recorded sessions of actual interviews and participate in group and individual class assignments involving factual cases..
- Analyze verbal and written statements.
- Identify the most common interviewing pitfalls.
- Identify open and closed ended questions, evasive verbal responses, and non-verbal body language.
- Utilize techniques to establishing a “Power of Influence.”
- State the ten steps of an interrogation that can prompt a voluntary confession.
Overview of topics
- Avoiding Interviewing Pitfalls
- Verbal Lie Detection
- Open and Closed Ended Questions
- Teaching the Subject to Lie
- Non-Verbal Body Language
- Evasive Verbal Responses
- Mandated Interview Questions
- Analyzing Verbal and Written Statements
- Dignity and Confession
- Establishing a “Power of Influence”
- Understanding the Common Myths of Miranda
- Voluntary Confessions
Course Schedule and Contacts: