Course Length: 3 days (24 hours)
MCTFT Coordinators: Gail Walker (727-344-8020)
This course will provide instruction to law enforcement officers on highway traffic stops of suspected drug couriers and users. It is the goal of this course to provide these techniques to lead to the safe discovery of illegal contraband and ultimately, a successful prosecution. This course will include practical exercises for interviewing techniques and vehicle searches on cars, small trucks and commercial tractor trailers.
- Determine if an investigation should and can continue after a traffic stop.
- Utilize documented traffic stop information in such way that it can be used in court to justify related investigations.
- Identify indicators of suspicious behavior, deceptive statements, and suspicious non-verbal indicators.
- Identify the most favorable locations to conduct an interview, and know the procedures for separating the occupants prior to the interview.
- To identify potential compartments in cars, trucks and commercial vehicles for concealing contraband and techniques for determining such.
- Utilize highway interdiction techniques meant to ensure the safety of officers, drivers, and passengers.
Overview of topics
- The Traffic Stop
- Roadside Interviews
- Vehicle Searches/Hidden Compartments (including use of K9)
- Evidence Handling
- Commercial Vehicle Smuggling
- Officer Safety
Course Schedule and Contacts:
Click here for the online version: Introduction to Highway & Rural Drug Investigations
To register for a class, click the “Register” button or call the contact listed with that class below: