The challenge for parents, teachers and communities is to distinguish between the normal, sometimes volatile ups and downs of adolescent development and the red flags of substance abuse.
If you suspect that a friend or loved one is abusing drugs, you’re not alone. It’s important to remember that drug abusers often try to conceal their symptoms and downplay their problem. Whether you struggle with addiction or you’re a loved one of an addict, education, dedication, love and patience are the keys to the path of successful recovery.
- Understand the disease of addiction
- Distinguish between “normal” adolescent behavior and the red flags of addiction
- Learn about current trends, hiding places, street names, computer lingo and code words
- Familiarize yourself with telltale signs of addiction and withdrawal
- Explore the world of drug abuse; hear first-hand knowledge from addicts and addiction experts
- Discover addiction resources
Originally Aired: September 6, 2007
Primary target audiences for this program will include high school students, teachers, parents, law enforcement officials, drug prevention specialists, Drug-Free Communities Act grantees, administrators, school drug counselors, treatment providers, drug court members, policy makers, business leaders, coalition volunteers, drug demand reduction coordinators, criminal justice professionals, members of the religious community and other community partners who may be interested. This program is also suitable for Public or Cable Access television distribution.